Gravina in Puglia – Altamura
Meeting with the guide at the Gravina in Puglia station, bike delivery and… let’s go!
Our travel menu today proposes the first course to lick your mustache:
- we will ride our bikes towards the base camp, set up at the Fattoria della Mandorla, they are the first vegan almond-based cheeses producers worldwide;
- we will discover the fascinating city of Gravina in Puglia and its underground city (La Gravina Sotterranea), and then we will start our food shopping in town;
- we will jump to the city of Altamura, one of the most important centers of the National Park, with its imposing Apulian Roman Cathedral built by Emperor Federico II. The historic center is made up of an intricate maze of alleys and “claustri” (small squares);
- we will visit the craft workshop of our partner “Pecore Attive” where we will discover the secrets of sheep wool processing;
- we will continue our shopping at one of the many ovens known all over the world for the famous DOP Altamura bread production;
- Leaving the urban center we will continue towards the Pulo di Altamura, one of the most important geosites of the National Park. You may be wondering: what is Pulo? When you see it, you will immediately think of the huge crater of a meteorite, but no! We don’t anticipate anything, you will enjoy the discovery!
- Pic nic looking this panoramic place;
- in the afternoon we will arrive at the campsite;
- We will prepare the dinner with the camping kitchens, using the ingredients purchased along the way; of course, you will be guided by a food and wine expert, it will be a perfect cooking class, but in nature!
Technical details on the first day’s ride.
Distance 43.37 km
Positive difference in height 390 m
Positive difference in height: 552 meters
Overnight: Glamping bell tent (equipped bed with sheets, blankets and towels included)
Altamura – Poggiorsini
On this day the second course of the travel menu includes:
- visit to our Partners in Masseria La Calcara, where we will take our packed lunch based on local products and we will let you explain how the “sheep knots” are prepared (delicious intertwined mozzarella);
- riding towards the “little brother” of the Pulo di Altamura: The Pulicchio of Gravina, on a super wild itinerary! Arrived on the edge of the Murgia plateau, we will descend into a wooded canyon, into the Bradano Valley, to reach the little town of Poggiorsini;
- In Poggiorsini we will meet a beer producer and we will taste the craft beer of “Birrificio degli Ostuni”;
- Later we will move towards the “invisible” Castle of the Garagnone; why invisible? You will be in a mystical and ancient place. Follow our story you will see what is no longer there…
The next step of the ride will be the Agriturismo Coppa, where we will have dinner and spend the night.
Technical details on the second-day ride.
Length: 80 km
Positive difference in height: 715 meters
Castel del Monte – Ruvo di Puglia
The third course of the travel menu includes a ride on the First Cycle Route of the National Park, visiting an ancient necropolis and the most famous manor in Puglia: Castel del Monte, UNESCO site.
Optionally if the group wishes we can do 25 km more to visit the Bauxite Mines.
From the Castle we will move downhill through the countryside, between vineyards and orchards, arriving to the city of Ruvo di Puglia, where we will stop for a wine tasting in the vineyard to conclude the Transmurgiana with a final food&wine tasting. From Ruvo you can take a direct train to the Bari airport or to Bari Central Station.
Those who want can option an additional overnight stay in the beautiful city of Ruvo di Puglia or continue the ride independently to the coast, reach the city of Trani and spend there the overnight. (Trani is very well connected with Bari).
Technical details on the third-day ride.
Length: 52 km
Positive difference in height: 310 meters
This travel program has been created thanks to the financial support of the MEDUSA Project financed by the European Union under the ENI CBC Mediterranean Sea Basin Programme.
THIS TRIP IS SELT BY AUTHENTICPUGLIA TOURS